Equivalence with EU/EEA citizens


Under certain conditions, citizens of non-EU/EEA countries can be treated as equal to EU/EEA/CH citizens regarding the tuition fee regulations. In case of equal status, the same tuition fee regualtion as for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens apply. 

 Required documents


  • For summer semester: until 31 March
  • For winter semester: until 31 October

Who can apply for equal status?

This is possible for degree students for whom the decree of certain groups of persons applies. Also these residence permits are accepted (without exception):


  • Selbständiger
  • Künstler
  • Sonderfälle unselbständiger Erwerbstätigkeit
  • Forscher
  • Familiengemeinschaft


  • Rot-Weiß-Rot – Karte
  • Rot-Weiß-Rot – Karte plus
  • Blaue Karte EU
  • Aufenthaltstitel "Familienangehöriger"
  • Daueraufenthalt – EU

 Equal status with "Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Studierende"

The equal status only due to an with "Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Studierende" is generally not possible.

Your steps in the application procedure

1. Fill in the required form. Scan it and your residence permit/your proofs for the decree of certain groups of persons in well readable quality.

2. Send the required documents within the deadline as one PDF file to the Admission Office (contact form - indicate you u:account e-mail address!)

3. Every application is processed individually - this is why it takes several days until you get an e-mail to your u:account e-mail address by the Admission Office. 

4. Pay the prescribed fee.



I have equal status. Why is the tuition fee prescribed?
Why do I have to apply for equal status again?
I already paid the tuition fee. Now I have equal status. How do I get the money back?