Proof of German knowledge


Knowledge of German is required to be admitted to the University of Vienna as a degree student.

  • All bachelor degree programmes and most master/doctorate/PhD programmes require German knowledge of at least level B2. You have the possibility to participate in a preparation course before the admission to a degree programme.
  • The following master degree programmes need level C1 or C2 at the moment of application, ergo it is not possible to participate in a preparation course:It is not possible to attend the German course Preparation Programme to reach this level.
  • A participation in a German course at the Preparation Programme  is also not possible for Master degree programmes that are taught entirely in English.
  • For doctorate/PhD degree programmes it is decided individually, if knowledge of German is required or if the degree programme can be completed in English.



 Bachelor degree programmes with an entrance examination


Which certificates and types of proof are accepted?

The following certificates and types of proof are the only ones accepted:


  • School-leaving certificate from a German-speaking country or an Austrian or German foreign school abroad
  • School-leaving certificate from an EU/EEA country with subject German indicated
  • Graduation from senior high school ("Oberstufe", grade 9 till completed) at a school where the teaching language is German
  • Graduation from compulsory school (until 9th grade) at a school where the teaching language is German
  • Graduation from a study programme of at least 3 years at a university or school where the teaching language is German
  • Graduation in the subject German from an accredited foreign university

These types of proof are valid for an unlimited time.


  • Österreichisches Sprachdiplom – B2 Mittelstufe Deutsch (MD)
  • Goethe Institut – Goethe Zertifikat B2
  • Language center of the University of Vienna – B2/2
  • Language center of another Austrian university - B2
  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer StudienwerberInnen (DSH)
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kulturministerkonferenz Stufe II (DSD II)
  • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF), level 4 minimum in all parts of the test
  • telc Deutsch B2
  • Österreichischer Integrationsfonds (ÖIF) - B2-ÖIF-Test

In case of partial tests only level B2/2 is accepted, B2/1 is not sufficient. The certificate must not be older than three years otherwise a new examination has to be done.

If you already possess knowledge of German but have no proof or certificate, you can take an exam at a recognized language institute. The University of Vienna does not offer such examinations directly.

What happens, if you do not have proof of proficiency in German yet?

If you do not upload a proof of proficiency in German during your application in u:space, you can participate in a German course in the university preparation programme (VWU) respectively its co-operation partners (Registration, fees, etc.).

  • As a citizen of a non-EU/EEA country, your conditional admission letter will state that you have to complete the supplementary examination in German.
  • As a citizen of an EU/EEA country you have to go to the Admission Office (opening hours). There you will receive a certificate with which you can register at the VWU.

Attention participants of VWU!

Once you have been admitted to the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU) as a non-degree students, only the supplementary examination in German (Ergänzungsprüfung Deutsch, EPD) of the preparation programme is accepted as proof of proficiency in German. It is not possible to quit the Preperation Programme and pass the German exam elsewhere (e.g. ÖSD certificate). In this case, the certificate is not accepted by the University of Vienna and it can lead to the loss of your student visa.

Persons who did not finish the German course in the VWU and do have another proof of German knowledge (e.g. ÖSD certificate) are strongly advised to pass the Ergänzungsprüfung Deutsch to be able to be admitted to a study programme until 30 November 2017.

Detailed information about the new regulations
Information about the registration deadlines, exam dates etc. in the VWU



Can I present another German certificate, altough I participate in the preparation programme?
Do I have to participate in the German course of the VWU?
My certificate/proof of knowledge of German is not on the list. Will it be accepted?